In house architect
McCamant & Durrett Architects of Nevada City, CA is seeking to hire an accomplished practitioner of the design trade. An architect, yes, but an artisan really. Someone who loves to make strong, beautiful, high functioning, eco-groovy and economical buildings as much as we do. Someone who wants to make an impact architecturally and socially.
- Licensed architect
- Familiar with the building code
- Familiar with multi-family housing
- Familiar with wood construction
- Passionate about cohousing and community
- 4-6 years working experience, or equivalent
- Undergraduate/graduate degree in Architecture, or equivalent
- Portfolio of work or equivalent
- Ability to travel to projects, when necessary
- Experience in the field, either as a student or an experienced architect, with the desire to create cohousing communities.
- Basic knowledge of drafting
- Comfortable giving presentations
- Knowledge of Sketch-up, Mac, and VectorWorks
- Enjoy research-based projects
- Able to work 40 hours/week in the Nevada City office for 6-months
- Able to travel as needed
ARchitects working with architects
The advantages of hiring an experienced cohousing architect couldn’t be more clear, especially now that more and more communities are wanting to create their own cohousing neighborhoods. It is beneficial, both short term and long term, saving the group time and money. I feel that our work is not work – it’s sheer joy, in part, because of the groups we work with who see the value in what we provide.
Do to the volume of cohousing communities in the formation stage, we recognize that it is more valuable for everyone to coach local architects, preparing them to, after our initial project together, create more successful cohousing communities in their area. In these initial projects, we do 50% of construction documents, 90% of the specifications, and 50% of the construction administration, and provide support for other project architects.
Our mantra is, "If it doesn't work socially, why bother?" If you agree with that and want to contribute to making sure that our project are beautiful and resilient, we want to hear from you.